Prep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
1 cup: 250 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 598mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
1 cup chopped onion
4 bacon strips, chopped
3 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, undrained
1 can (6-1/2 ounces) chopped clams, undrained
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound fish fillets (haddock, cod or flounder), cooked and broken into pieces
Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
Minced chives, optional
1. In a large saucepan, cook onion and bacon over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. Add milk, corn, clams, potatoes, butter, salt, and pepper. 2. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Stir in fish and heat through. Ladle into bowls. If desired, top with bacon and chives.
Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
1 each: 243 calories, 19g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 629mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
7 tablespoons canola oil, divided
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 pound thinly sliced deli corned beef
Hot cooked rice, optional
1. In a small bowl, whisk 4 tablespoons oil, vinegar, sugar, celery seed, and salt until sugar is dissolved; set aside.
2. In a large skillet, saute the cabbage, carrots, and onions in remaining oil for 15-16 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in vinegar-oil mixture and corned beef. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. If desired, serve with rice.
Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + standing
1 piece: 338 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 282mg cholesterol, 820mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
6 cups cubed French bread (about 6 ounces)
2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
12 large eggs
1-1/2 cups 2% milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a greased 13×9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: bread cubes, chiles, Monterey Jack cheese, and chicken. Repeat layers.
2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, baking powder, and garlic salt until blended. Pour over layers. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until puffed and golden at edges. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with salsa.
Prep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min./batch
1 cookie: 83 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
2-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1. In a bowl, toss the coconut, flour, and salt. Stir in milk and extract until blended (mixture will be thick and sticky).
2. Drop by level tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 300° just until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
2 open-faced sandwiches: 280 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 612mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
2 cups pizza sauce or pasta sauce
1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni, chopped
4 slices process American cheese, chopped
12 mini buns, split
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in pizza sauce, pepperoni, and American cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted, 4-5 minutes.
2. Place buns on a baking sheet, cut sides up. Spoon meat mixture onto buns; top with mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. If desired, serve with additional warmed pizza sauce.