Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
1 piece: 487 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 1321mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 21g protein.
1/2 pound ground beef
4 hot dogs, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
1 can (16 ounces) baked beans
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
4 slices American cheese
1. In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the hot dogs, beans, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and cheese cubes. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
2. Meanwhile, prick pastry shell with a fork. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Fill with hot beef mixture. Cut each cheese slice into four strips; make a lattice topping over pie. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
1 serving: 278 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 718mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 pound cod fillets, cut into 1-inch strips
Butter-flavored cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs and seasonings. Place flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. Dip fish in flour to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere.
2. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; spritz with butter-flavored cooking spray. Bake 10-12 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork, turning once.
Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
1 cup: 124 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
1/2 small carrot, grated
1/2 celery rib, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
3/4 teaspoon sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1. In a small saucepan, saute the carrot, celery, green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Set aside 2 tablespoons broth. Add the tomatoes, sugar, pepper and remaining broth to vegetable mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Combine cornstarch and reserved broth until smooth; gradually add to the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
Prep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
8 servings (2 quarts)
1 cup: 180 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 598mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
3 celery ribs, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
3 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 green onions, chopped
1. In a nonstick Dutch oven, saute the celery, onions, leeks, green pepper, jalapenos, and garlic in oil until tender. Add the potatoes, broth, water, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Stir in sour cream and green onions until blended; heat through (do not boil).
Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.