Prep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
Nutrition Facts :
1 cup: 276 calories, 22g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 421mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein.
15 large tomatoes (5 pounds), seeded and quartered
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
8 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Fresh basil leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place tomatoes in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Combine 1/4 cup oil and garlic; drizzle over tomatoes. Toss to coat.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard skins.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add tomatoes, water, salt and, if desired, pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until flavors are blended. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to pan. Stir in cream and heat through. Sprinkle with basil if desired.